For any seafarer, splicing rope is an essential skill. But the traditional 3-strand rope is fast disappearing. So how do you splice braided rope?
This is the definitive guide to this crucial skill. Most of the techniques are quite easy to master and also fun to do. See why splices are better and strongerm than knots or shackles for joining or shortening rope, and follow the step-by-step photographs and clear instructions to find out how to splice efficiently.
Learn how to
· make strong, reliable splices in braided rope
· select ropes in the materials that best suit your on-board requirements
· customize your ropes to make your setup easier and safer
· optimize your deck layout and save weight on board
· taper your sheets for ease of handling
· splice an extra cover on your ropes to give better grip in clutches, avoid chafe and make them last longer
While a knot can reduce the strength of a rope by as much as 50%, a well-spliced rope loses only 5 - 10%. The techniques, insights and suggestions within these pages will be invaluable to all boaters, whether recreational or commercial.
Imprint: Adlard Coles
Illustrations: Over 450 colour photos
Dimensions: 246 x 171 mm
Customers Also Viewed